Where's that title from?









Altarwise by Owl-Light


I.

Altarwise by owl-light in the half-way house
The gentleman lay graveward with his furies;
Abaddon in the hangnail cracked from Adam,
And, from his fork, a dog among the fairies,
The atlas-eater with a jaw for news,
Bit out the mandrake with to-morrow's scream.
Then, penny-eyed, that gentleman of wounds,
Old cock from nowheres and the heaven's egg,
With bones unbuttoned to the half-way winds,
Hatched from the windy salvage on one leg,
Scraped at my cradle in a walking word
That night of time under the Christward shelter:
I am the long world's gentleman, he said,
And share my bed with Capricorn and Cancer.



-- Dylan Thomas

19 November 2007

The Hell You Say

Here's a revelation from a new report just released by the NEA: young people are not reading as much as they used to, and they are performing poorly on tests as a result.

I am glad precious arts money is being used to discover these things.

My source at the NEA has leaked the titles of their next two reports:
"What goes up must come down" and "Death is inevitable."

I know their hearts are in the right place, but did anyone not already understand this?

Note to NEA: fewer reports on the obvious, more grants.

No comments: