Where's that title from?









Altarwise by Owl-Light


I.

Altarwise by owl-light in the half-way house
The gentleman lay graveward with his furies;
Abaddon in the hangnail cracked from Adam,
And, from his fork, a dog among the fairies,
The atlas-eater with a jaw for news,
Bit out the mandrake with to-morrow's scream.
Then, penny-eyed, that gentleman of wounds,
Old cock from nowheres and the heaven's egg,
With bones unbuttoned to the half-way winds,
Hatched from the windy salvage on one leg,
Scraped at my cradle in a walking word
That night of time under the Christward shelter:
I am the long world's gentleman, he said,
And share my bed with Capricorn and Cancer.



-- Dylan Thomas

14 March 2008

That's Me, All Right!


I must admit, I think these things are cool. This one is generated from my manuscript (and literary doppelgänger), Thrown.

created at TagCrowd.com




In other news, the Ph.D. application scoreboard reads as follows:

1 win--with funding
1 win--without funding (which isn't much of a win, really)
1 loss (I'm making a voodoo doll in the image of their school mascot, and I've got the pins all ready to go)
2 draws (which is to say, 2 wait-listings, which really should count as 2 losses, but my ego prefers to list them in this "sort-of-yes" category)
5 still unreported

I had expected news from all of them by this date, so the wait is a bit frustrating. This is almost as bad as the Democratic primaries! But I'm glad for the 1 win-with-funding; otherwise, I might be feeling a touch of anxiety right about now. Oh, well. The saga continues . . .

I knew I should have included "met Jorie Graham" on my c.v.!







No comments: