Where's that title from?









Altarwise by Owl-Light


I.

Altarwise by owl-light in the half-way house
The gentleman lay graveward with his furies;
Abaddon in the hangnail cracked from Adam,
And, from his fork, a dog among the fairies,
The atlas-eater with a jaw for news,
Bit out the mandrake with to-morrow's scream.
Then, penny-eyed, that gentleman of wounds,
Old cock from nowheres and the heaven's egg,
With bones unbuttoned to the half-way winds,
Hatched from the windy salvage on one leg,
Scraped at my cradle in a walking word
That night of time under the Christward shelter:
I am the long world's gentleman, he said,
And share my bed with Capricorn and Cancer.



-- Dylan Thomas

31 May 2009

I used to know a guy with a big tattoo of Baudelaire's face on his arm


It actually looked more like Don Knotts.  








I have no interest in getting a tattoo of Baudelaire, but I do share his dream of "the miracle of a poetic prose, musical, without [formal] rhythm and without rhyme, supple enough and rugged enough to adapt itself to the lyrical impulses of the soul, the undulations of reverie . . . ."  

Okay, I haven't actually written any prose poems yet, but I've had a sort of breakthrough in terms of how I want to write them.  I think I may have stumbled across a strategy for writing these prose poems that could be for me what Berryman's basic Dream Song form was for him.  Not that I think these will be even a tiny bit as good as Berryman's poems; I just feel that this strategy might allow me to finally say what I want to say in the same way that the Dream Songs allowed Berryman to finally write the poems he was born to write.  Lots of them.

I don't want to say much else about them, because that may anger the gods, and they might tell the Muses to shut up.  But I am sort of excited about writing these.  I hope they turn out half as well as they promise to be in my imagination.

Mind you, I'm referring to how well they will satisfy me, not necessarily the reading public.  It could be that what I really want to say is strangely irrelevant and even obsolete to the poetry community.  But I don't care.  Publishable or not, these may be my real work.

Oh, line breaks.  We have had a love-hate relationship for so long.  But I've got to let you go.  I've met someone else.






No comments: