Where's that title from?









Altarwise by Owl-Light


I.

Altarwise by owl-light in the half-way house
The gentleman lay graveward with his furies;
Abaddon in the hangnail cracked from Adam,
And, from his fork, a dog among the fairies,
The atlas-eater with a jaw for news,
Bit out the mandrake with to-morrow's scream.
Then, penny-eyed, that gentleman of wounds,
Old cock from nowheres and the heaven's egg,
With bones unbuttoned to the half-way winds,
Hatched from the windy salvage on one leg,
Scraped at my cradle in a walking word
That night of time under the Christward shelter:
I am the long world's gentleman, he said,
And share my bed with Capricorn and Cancer.



-- Dylan Thomas

13 October 2009

Sometimes it's good to be alive

I recently discovered this band, The Swell Season, thanks to a Facebook friend. Maybe they are old news to everyone else, but they are new to me. Anyway, here they are performing one of their new songs on Czech t.v. (The singer's name is Markéta Irglová.) I'm glad I'm here on Earth at the same time so I can listen to this. I think this song is genuinely beautiful. It is pure. The gentle beauty of this music makes me feel ashamed of my own jaded literary efforts, and of the jaded literary world in general. I hope you enjoy it, whoever you are.

2 comments:

Julie Platt said...

They were the stars of the movie "Once." You should probably rent it. :)

M. Cherry said...

I just got that from Netflix. Is it good?