Where's that title from?









Altarwise by Owl-Light


I.

Altarwise by owl-light in the half-way house
The gentleman lay graveward with his furies;
Abaddon in the hangnail cracked from Adam,
And, from his fork, a dog among the fairies,
The atlas-eater with a jaw for news,
Bit out the mandrake with to-morrow's scream.
Then, penny-eyed, that gentleman of wounds,
Old cock from nowheres and the heaven's egg,
With bones unbuttoned to the half-way winds,
Hatched from the windy salvage on one leg,
Scraped at my cradle in a walking word
That night of time under the Christward shelter:
I am the long world's gentleman, he said,
And share my bed with Capricorn and Cancer.



-- Dylan Thomas

10 November 2008

Better than just staying at home and watching cartoons

I don't usually use this blog for self-promotion (mainly, I suppose, because I've usually nothing to promote), and I don't think most of my readers can attend this, anyway, but I figure what the hell.

If you're going to Winter Wheat this year, I will be presenting this session in the 10:30-11:45 time slot:


D3: Stepping Off a Hundred-Foot Pole: Creative Writing and the Zen Koan
Michael Cherry
A Zen koan: "Atop a hundred-foot pole, how do you step forward?" The student must respond not with cleverness but with her/his whole being. Creative writing demands a similar wholehearted, intuitive engagement. In this workshop, participants will investigate how Zen koan practice can free and enliven the writing mind.



Now, I just have to figure out what I'm going to say!




Blogged with the Flock Browser

No comments: